Saturday 21st April 2018

  • 2

    Wingate & Finchley

    Ebelebe 31
    Beckles 59

  • 0

    Dorking Wanderers

Bostik League Premier

Wingate and Finchley cruised to a 2-0 victory over Dorking Wanderers in their last home game of the season on Saturday. This was the second time the two sides had met in three days with the first meeting ending in an entertaining 2-2 draw and giving this match lots to live up to. The match was an early kick-off and Wingate had an early chance when Reece Beckles-Richards was played in on goal but fired wide from a one-on-one position.

The first half hour was lacking in quality from either side but just after the 30 minute mark the deadlock was broken. Beckles-Richards shot after a mazy run and Dorking ‘keeper Slavomir Huk saved but under-23 graduate Isaac Ebelebe was on hand to fire home from the rebound – the youngster’s first goal for Wingate. Dorking had a good chance soon after the goal when Dean Hamlin made good contact from a corner but his attempt was just off target.

As with the first half, the early stages of the second were lacking in quality or penetration from either side although Marc Charles-Smith came close to a second for Wingate when he headed wide from Beckles-Richards’ free kick. The visitors came agonisingly close to an equaliser just before the hour mark when Lewis Putman hit the bar from inside the box and Tom Tolfrey was unable to convert from the rebound with Shane Gore making a smart save.

Within a minute of Dorking’s chance, the game was put out of their reach. Afolabi Obafemi’s flick on was controlled by Luke Alfano who took the ball forward and held off his defender before squaring to Beckles-Richards, giving the winger the simple task of taking a touch and firing past Huk. Dorking’s misery was nearly compounded with just over 10 minutes remaining when Alfano skewed a half volley before controlling and crossing to Charles-Smith but the ball slightly evaded the striker and Huk was able to collect.

The match was entirely in Wingate’s control and Dorking’s frustration showed in the last minute of the game when James McShane was given a straight red card for an off the ball incident. Substitute Freddy Moncur nearly grabbed the third for Wingate when he ran at goal and shot from the edge of the box but it wasn’t enough to trouble the keeper.

A comprehensive victory and solid performance for the Blues who face Harlow Town in their final match of the season next Saturday.

Report by Jamie Grossman


  1. Gore
  2. Ifil
  3. Eadie
  4. Eales
  5. Cronin
  6. 80

  7. Alfano
  8. 75

  9. Ebelebe
  10. Laney
  11. Charles-Smith
  12. Beckles
  13. 67

  14. Obafemi



  1. Clarke
  2. 80

  3. Tejan-Sie
  4. 75

  5. Moncur
  6. Pattie
  7. Rabstein


Jack Bonnick