Wednesday 6th December 2017

  • 3

    Wingate & Finchley

    Clarke 49
    Pattie 67(pen)
    Akinola 85

  • 0

    Hanwell Town

Middx Charity Cup

Wingate and Finchley progressed to the next round of the Middlesex Charity Cup with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Evo Stik Southern League East Division side Hanwell Town. Three second half goals from Ned Clarke, Antoine Akinola and a penalty from captain Ben Pattie sealed the win for a young Blues’ side managed by Dean Barker. The game took a while to get going and the first meaningful action came after a quarter of an hour when Oliver Duffy went down in the area under the challenge of Remi Gyimah, but the referee waived away Hanwell’s penalty appeals.

The visitors could have taken the lead soon after when Simon Corcoran’s shot on the turn hit the side netting. Wingate got into their stride as the half went on, with Clarke’s glancing header from a Pattie cross whistling past the post. Gyimah had the chance to open the scoring a minute later, but fired wide on the half volley when the ball fell to him in the area. A mini spell of pressure for the hosts ended when Elijah Seymour’s effort was saved by Robert Pietka in the Hanwell goal.

Back at the other end, Ricky Pither headed just over from a cross from the left, before Mason Turner-Welsh’s header was cleared off the line by Ibrahim Conteh, in what was the last action of the first half. It took Wingate just four minutes to break the deadlock following the restart. Moments after seeing his header saved at point blank range by Pietka, Clarke found the net with a header from Pattie’s corner.

It could have been a quick fire double had Seymour finished his chance, but Pietka stood up tall to parry the effort out for a corner. Wingate started to play some free flowing football and after good build up play from Pattie Seymour and Clarke, the latter’s shot was blocked. Pattie coolly finished into the corner on the hour mark, but was flagged offside, and Ricardo Price hit the post with a fierce struck shot on the turn, as the home side tried to make the scoreline more comfortable.

And that elusive second goal did come via the penalty spot as Seymour was felled in the box. Captain Pattie stepped up and slotted the ball into the corner, sending the ‘keeper the wrong way. The goal threatened to open the floodgates and Pattie was in the mood for more, cutting inside onto his left foot before unleashing a curling effort which narrowly missed the post.

However, Hanwell did have their own opportunities in the second period. Substitute Sam Pekun raced through on goal, but shot wide. The winger breached Wingate’s backline once again with 10 minutes to go, but this time Rabstein saved with his feet to preserve the Blues’ clean sheet. Rabstein was kept busy in the closing stages - saving Mergim Quarri’s close range effort, before Corcoran thought he had scored, only to see the linesman raise his flag for offside.

The game was wrapped up by substitute Antoine Akinola, who got in front of his man to flick the ball home from Price’s cross, after a great run down the left from the winger. Pattie could have added further gloss to the scoreline in stoppage time but his shot from the edge of the box sailed over the bar.

The Blues are back in Bostik Premier League action on Saturday when we travel to Thurrock (3pm).

WingateTV: Dean Barker & Ned Clarke post Hanwell Town: HERE

Report by Sam Jones


  1. Rabstein
  2. Conteh
  3. Patrick
  4. Ebelebe
  5. Gyimah
  6. Eales
  7. 87

  8. Price
  9. Alfano
  10. 83

  11. Clarke
  12. Pattie
  13. 79

  14. Seymour



  1. Akinola
  2. 83

  3. Mandeville
  4. Reynold
  5. 87

  6. Esposito
  7. Saviano


Peter Smith