Tuesday 6th October 2020

  • 2

    AFC Hornchurch

  • 3

    Wingate & Finchley

    Vilhete, Edwards, Healey

Pitching In Isthmian Premier

After three straight league defeats, Wingate and Finchley came back to make it two wins from two against Hornchurch on Tuesday.

Saturday’s 4-1 home win over Lewes was followed up by a 3-2 away win at Bridge Avenue, despite the Blues finding themselves two goals down early on.

Three minutes into the game, A Hornchurch corner was met by a stooping header, which was well saved by goalkeeper Myles Roberts, who parried the ball away to safety.

The quarter hour mark saw Finchley dealt their first blow, when an Urchins’ attack found space in the Blues’ defence, with Ellis Brown sliding home to take them into the lead, despite Wingate’s appeals for a free kick in the build up.

Twelve minutes later, another setback would present itself, when Chris Dickson found space in the area, before directing his header across the goal, straight part Roberts’ goal to take the score up to 2-0.

Less than 200 seconds after the hosts’ second goal, the visitors found themselves with a threating free kick, after Mauro Vilhete’s incredible run saw him hacked down by a defender. Vilhete stepper up and drove the ball goalward, with the ball creeping under ‘keeper Joe Wright, who was unable to get his hands to fully block it, giving Wingate a lifeline.

The first half scoring was not over yet, however, as it the first minute of added time at the end of the half, Bilal Sayoud whipped in a great free kick after a dangerous foul on Suleiman Bakalandwa. The set piece was met by Charlie Edwards, who planted his header into the far post, levelling the scoring going into the break.

The second half seemed to be dominated by Wingate attacks. The opening minutes saw several shots taken by the Blues, including a Bakalandwa cross, which was hit goalward by Ahmet Rifat, only to be well saved. However, it was Billy Healey who would put Finchley in the lead for the first time, continuing his run of scoring over the last few games. Bakalandwa fired in yet another cross, which was easy for Healey to turn home at the near post, taking the score to 3-2.

The next 20 minutes saw Wingate dominate in terms of attacks and possession. However, the latter stages of the game saw Hornchurch start to load on the pressure, to try to restore their lead. After a couple of threatening shots, they were ultimately denied by the handling of goalkeeper Roberts and the strong defence, ensuring that the Blues returned from East London with all three points.

Report by Josh Palmer


  1. Roberts
  2. Doyle
  3. Bihmoutine
  4. Edwards
  5. Eales
  6. Rifat
  7. 90

  8. Bakalandwa
  9. Tejan-Sie
  10. 71

  11. Healey
  12. Vilhete
  13. 78

  14. Sayoud



  1. Kissi
  2. 71

  3. Capela
  4. Ifil
  5. 78

  6. Stirling
  7. Tweed