Tuesday 7th January 2020

  • 1

    Wingate & Finchley


  • 2


Isthmian Premier Division

Wingate fell to a 2-1 home defeat against Leatherhead on Tuesday night, despite being a goal ahead at half time.

The Blues could have taken the lead after just two minutes, when Kane Farrell shot a dangerous free kick goalwards, being denied by mere millimetres by the crossbar.

Olu Akinsanya had a good break towards the goal at the quarter hour mark, charging through the Tanners’ defence, but was dispossessed at the last millisecond by Leatherhead’s Will Salmon.

However, the deadlock was finally broken on 20 minutes by Luke Ifil, who casually slotted the ball home straight under the goalkeeper, having latched onto a pass across the goal by Johnville Renee. Wingate went into the break with the deserved lead, having been the dominant side in the first 45 minutes.

However, the same story could not be said for the second half. Goalscorer Ifil came off at the break, being replaced by Alphanso Kennedy for tactical reasons. The early part of the second half was dominated by the visitors, who had stepped up their attacking, having several good efforts on goal.

Their efforts paid off on 56 minutes, when Jake Embery took a hopeful shot from just outside the box, which was luckily caught by the wind before deflecting off of the post into the back of the net, passed a helpless Shane Gore.

Following the goal, manager Spencer Knight brought on Charlie Ruff to replace Bilal Sayoud, in what would be a vain attempt to restore the hosts lead.

Around the hour mark, the Blues started to regain some of their momentum from earlier on in the game, having several shots. Noteworthy ones included Kennedy breaking down the left hand side before shooting, narrowly missing before the ball was scooped up by ‘keeper Oualah. Moments later saw Akinsanya get a good header on a cross from Farrell, which was hit marginally over the bar.

Disaster struck on 71 minutes when Embery got on the end of a good through ball before chipping it over Gore, turning the result around, giving the Surrey club the lead for the first time in the game.

The remainder of the match saw relatively little action compared to the rest of the game. However, when the fourth official put up four minutes on the board, the game started to heat up again. Wingate had a few more efforts on goal to try and salvage a point, with one in the final minute seeing Ruff cutting in through the defence, somehow managing to round the goalkeeper, only to misplace his shot inches wide of the open goal.

The defeat means that the Blues are winless in the league since 9th November, condemning us to more time at the bottom of the league table. We go again on Saturday vs Cheshunt.

Report by Josh Palmer


  1. Gore
  2. Platt
  3. Farrell
  4. 74

  5. Rifat
  6. Grace
  7. Njie
  8. 45

  9. Ifil
  10. Ochieng
  11. Akinsanya
  12. Renee
  13. 59

  14. Sayoud



  1. Kennedy
  2. Tejan-Sie
  3. Oluwatimilehin
  4. 59

  5. Ruff
  6. 74/p>

  7. Read