Saturday 19th January 2019

  • 4


  • 2

    Wingate & Finchley

    Rifat, Williams

Bostik League Premier

Wingate & Finchley kicked-off new gaffer, Dave Norman's reign with a 4-2 defeat to Lewes at The Dripping Pan, yet the scoreline failed to tell the whole story and left the Finchley Men in the bottom three.

Within eight minutes, The Blues showed their intent. Ola Williams, Carl Stewart and Reece Beckles-Richards exchanged down the right, yet Lewis Carey cut out the latter's cross.

A minute on at the other end, Kieron Pamment cut inside off the left and fired a 20-yard dipper, which Shane Gore held at the second attempt.

The north Londoners made the breakthrough on 11 minutes. Luke Ifil's whipped in free-kick from wide left connected with Ahmet Rifat, whose header back across goal squeezed in past Carey.

13 minutes proceeded when Rifat picked out Ifil down the left, whose cross came within a glancing Stacey Freeman header from arriving at Charlie Cole.

Pamment from close drilled towards the bottom corner, forcing Sean Cronin into a defining block on 27 minutes.

Eight minutes on, Williams sent Ifil away whose cross almost met Cole from six-yards out, but Freeman again steered clear.

With 38 minutes gone, Beckles-Richards' corner was guided towards Rifat by Cronin, who exchanged before zipping a shot wide off Frankie Chappell.

On the stroke of half-time, Beckles-Richards' corner to the back-post saw Rifat head inches over.

Four minutes into the restart, Omarr Lawson fired with menace just past the upright.

On 58 minutes, it was double-trouble for the hosts. Williams charged forward and slid in Jake Hutchings whose shot was blocked. Rifat gathered and set-up Williams, whose hit on target deflected off Chappell into the far corner.

A minute later, the Rooks grabbed one back. Gore palmed out James Hammond's free-kick for Thomas Day to play it across to Chappell, who touched home.

On 67 minutes, it was all-level. Luke Blewden was taken down inside the area giving Jonte Smith an opportunity to make it 2-2 from the penalty spot.

Smith evaded the post by inches 12 minutes later, before Lewes took the lead on 82 minutes. Pamment played out to Harry Reed, whose cross from the right was guided in by Callum Overton.

Charlie Ruff's aim for the bottom corner was palmed out by Carey, who stopped the rebound from Tim Monsheju on 90 minutes.

Deep in stoppage-time, Overton found the bottom corner after Hammond picked him out to leave the visitors fruitless.

Report by Khalid Karimullah


  1. Gore
  2. Williams
  3. Ifil
  4. 83

  5. Tring
  6. Cronin
  7. Rifat
  8. Beckles
  9. 86

  10. Stewart
  11. 71

  12. Cole
  13. Laney
  14. Hutchings



  1. Abrahams
  2. 86

  3. Ruff
  4. 71

  5. Monsheju
  6. Ekpiteta
  7. Njie


Jim Paterson