Saturday 7th September 2019

  • 4

    Wingate & Finchley

    Fleming 2, Abrahams, Kennedy

  • 1

    London Colney

Emirates FA Cup

Wingate & Finchley bounced back from their league defeat at Hornchurch last week to keep their FA Cup dreams very much alive.

The game was pretty even between the two sides for much of the game, with it being hard to tell that there were two divisions and forty league places separating the two sides.

With the game being open to either side for the first half an hour, with both sides having some good chances to take the lead, it was early substitute Alan Fleming who broke the deadlock at 34 minutes, shortly after being introduced to the game.

From a neutral's perspective, the game would have been an exciting one, with end to end football. However, for Blues fans it was quite nerving, with several near misses for both sides. A one goal lead at half time would have flattered Wingate, but it was the Spartan South Midlands League side that had the last laugh of the half, scoring a well deserved goal on the cusp of the break to take the game into the second half on level terms.

After a flurry of chances by the opposition early in the second half and not to mention a series of decent saves from Shane Gore, Wingate were able to build up some momentum and reclaimed the lead on the hour mark when Tanasheh Abrahams ran onto the ball and powered the ball into the back of the net.

Wingate followed up on that goal with a few more shots but were denied further goals by former Wingate keeper Jack Metcalfe. It would take until the 78th minute for the next major piece of action to occur. In a brilliant move, Alphanso Kennedy worked his way around several defending players into the box before firing the ball into the net to surely claim the tie for Wingate.

Despite having the game safely in their hands, The Blues kept on pushing and successfully found a fourth goal. First goalscorer Fleming went to shoot but lost his footing and gave away possession in the frenzy. However, in a skilled move he was able to quickly regain the ball and put it past Metcalfe, who was slightly off out of position.

So, it is The Blues who secured their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Cup for the first time since 2017, with the draw set to take place on Monday lunchtime.

Report by Josh Palmer


  1. Gore
  2. Ifil
  3. Abrahams
  4. Rifat
  5. Njie
  6. Frempah
  7. Ochieng
  8. Tejan-Sie
  9. 26

  10. Ewington
  11. 86

  12. Mendy
  13. 86

  14. Kennedy


  1. Hale-Brown
  2. 86

  3. Folarin
  4. 26

  5. Fleming
  6. 86

  7. Michael-Percil
  8. Eadie




Mark Stevens