Saturday 10th September 2016

  • 1


    Bugiel 23

  • 4

    Wingate & Finchley

    Williams 6
    Mbamarah 56
    Moncur 83
    Moncur 90

Ryman League Premier

A matured away performance, with 10-men for large periods of the second-half, saw Wingate & Finchley take home three deserved points against Worthing FC in a 4-1 win.

Following a bright start from Keith Rowland’s side, the opening goal arrived after just six-minutes. In a move started by Ola Williams, he combined with Freddy Moncur and Luke Ifil, before the latter found Williams whose strike from outside the area deflected past Rikki Banks.

Wingate found themselves in full control. Freddy Moncur’s whipped-in cross came within inches of being tapped home by Sean Cronin at the near-post, forcing Omar Bugiel to make a hurried and vital clearance. A double chance followed soon after. Reece Beckles first forced a goal-line clearance from centre-back Gary Elphick, as Ifil on the rebound hit his low strike inches wide to the relief of the home crowd. By this time the Blues had also struck the post, as Rob Laney came inches away from doubling the lead in a one-on-one.

Despite the North Finchley outfit dominating, it was soon all-level after 23 minutes. Bugiel took full advantage of a defensive error from half-way inside the visitors half, as he raced through on goal and rolled the ball inside the near-post and past Shane Gore.

Ryan Sellers and Moncur combined forcing another important challenge from Elphick, Ahmet Rifat hit his low drive towards goal forcing Banks into a good stop, before the hosts hit the woodwork. Brannon O’Neill’s free-kick arrived towards Lloyd Dawes, who despite failing to get a full connection, still found his header hit the post.

It was end-to-end after the restart. Rifat met Moncur’s corner forcing another goal-line clearance this time from Steve Metcalf, as Harvey Sparks’ first time hit went inches past the woodwork. The lead was restored in the 56th minute when Cronin found John Mbamarah to power a header into the top corner at the near-post.

Just three minutes later, the Blues were down to 10-men. Cronin was harshly sent off after the referee deemed he committed a second bookable offence, following a fifty-fifty tussle inside the hosts’ box. Sellers made a vital block from Dawes’ goal-bound strike, Will Hendon’s dangerous ball across the six-yard box evaded both Reis Stanislaus and Dawes, as Worthing continued to make their advantage count.

The game was then put to bed in a seven-minute spell. Sellers played Tanasheh Abrahams down the left whose delivered in cross was controlled by Moncur to smash home after 83 minutes. It was four right at the end after Moncur found his double, sliding in his effort across Banks following good pressure and turnover of possession.

WingateTV: Freddy Moncur & John Mbamarah post Worthing: HERE

Report by Khalid Karimullah


  1. Gore
  2. Williams
  3. Sellers
  4. Mbamarah
  5. Sent off 59

  6. Cronin
  7. Rifat
  8. Ifil
  9. Moncur
  10. 79

  11. Laney
  12. Tejan-Sie
  13. 67

  14. Beckles


  1. Bartram
  2. 61

  3. Abrahams
  4. 61

  5. Ogleby
  6. Wales


B. Knight